Clear Orthodontic Aligners
At Safana, we principally use near-invisible teeth straightening solutions, where possible, to re-align your teeth and improve your smile.
This modern approach differs from the traditional fixed-brace systems, as a bespoke series of clear orthodontic aligners are custom-made to reposition your overlapping teeth, avoiding uncomfortable metal wires and brackets.
The virtually invisible, clear removable aligners are changed every two to three weeks. Each aligner is specifically designed to gradually move and shift your teeth in small stages, so week by week, your teeth are realigned to their ideal final position as prescribed by your dentist. Treatment can take as little as 12 weeks, depending on the degree of change required.
Dr Munawwar Ladak can assess your level of malocclusion and advise if this type of orthodontics is suitable for your individual situation.
- Aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable and clear plastic that fit over your teeth
- Metal brackets and wires are not used - we sometimes temporarily attach tooth-coloured composite to the tooth surfaces to control their movement more accurately
- The aligners should be worn as much as possible during treatment but can be removed for short periods to allow cleaning or if you needed for a particular event
- Some minimal tooth reduction may be necessary to allow the teeth to be realigned ideally - this is dependant on the space needed and the way your teeth bite together
- After the course of realignment, the teeth need to be locked into place to prevent them from moving back into their previous positions - this is usually undertaken by bonding a hidden retainer wire to the backs of the teeth and sometimes using a clear final retainer for nighttime wear
- Although alignment will straighten the teeth positioning, some aspects of pre-existing tooth wear may need to be corrected to improve the final aesthetics - this can be minimally undertaken using freehand bonding with composite as shown in the case here
- It is important to maintain the teeth well after they have been repositioned so we advise regular professional hygiene visits with our hygienist following treatment and regular checks -ups with your dentist to maintain the retainers over time.